Change Lives

Change Lives

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Charlie Reaches Dizzy Heights.....

(Written By Jill Amery)

When I got up to go walking with a friend this morning, I decided I should give one of our furry pals the opportunity to join us.  So, after filling the car with towels, water bottle, doggy breakfast, treats and leads, I picked up Charlie.  He’s been a little lonely since Tammy his kennel-mate was re-homed a few weeks ago and deserved a break. 

Charlie and I arrived early at the car park at Simonside Hills near Rothbury and took a toddle around there after he ate breakfast.  My friend Christine arrived and we headed off with Charlie behaving well on an extendable lead.  Once we left the road and all sign of traffic I let him off lead to enjoy the sights and particularly the smells, of the woods.  He kept stopping to sniff about and then sprint the 100 yards to catch us up again. 

Although he seemed apprehensive at the scramble to the top of Simonside, Charlie the mountain goat tripped up there with much less effort than Christine and I exerted.  We stopped at the top to have a break (water, treats and cereal bars between the three of us).   Charlie took meeting people and other dogs in his stride until he came upon two men with a little Border Terrier who obviously gave him a fright and the anxiousness we are constantly working on, overcame him again.  He literally turned tail and bolted.  The men with the dog were great and gave him a wide berth to try and ease his stress.  I’ve learned that if I sit on the ground, Charlie will run back over and jump onto my knee.  So, as embarrassing as it was, I sat on the damp path and watched my little boy skip back to me.  Charlie had a bad start and although he has come on a long way, this was another example of why he needs a forever foster mam or dad.

Two and a half hours later and Charlie was back on lead.  I left him for a while in the car to sleep while Christine and I put the calories back on with cake and hot chocolate.  I returned to the car nervously.  Would the car still be in one piece?  Well, it was.  Charlie had behaved well and was also great on the hour long journey back to the kennels.  He spent the journey on the front seat, with one paw stretched over onto my knee.  Back in his kennel he scoffed his tea in no time at all and am sure he’ll sleep well tonight. 

Charlie didn’t bark once on his day out and his recall was smashing, other than the incident when he became nervous.   He clearly wants a little affection and needs someone with time and patience to support him and work with him through his issues, so he can become more relaxed and enjoy life to the full!  (If it wasn’t for my husband, he would be mine)!

Love you Charlie!