Change Lives

Change Lives

Sunday 18 May 2014

SHAK Loses It's Grandma.....

In a week that just seems to get harder, today was another day that will stay etched in my memory forever. We lost Max on Thursday, then we also lost an Akita and a Greyhound we were trying to help, then today me and my family had to say goodbye to our very special Grandma dog. Ava was simply amazing, one of the toughest and bravest dogs I've had the very big privilege of looking after, but today it all became too much. A suspected bone tumour beat our girl, and left a big hole in our hearts and our home.

When I began off on a new adventure and in a new home two years ago, Ava appeared as a stray. She was in one hell of a state, claws growing into her skin, covered in sores and chronic eye and ear infections. When I called the kennels to see how the new dog was, Andrew who used to work for me said "shes waiting to die." As soon as I saw her i knew she had to come home with me, and we started our new lives both together.

We called Ava "Grandma" and that is exactly  what she was, always telling the other dogs off if the run around the field was taking too long, and without doubt she was the best snorer I have ever come across! Both canine or human!

She was failing quite fast over the last couple of weeks, especially the last 24 hours, but I'd like to think we spoilt her and she had fun. Below are the last few pictures I took of her, just this week, as she enjoyed the upturn in temperature and weather. I am going to miss her so much. When we set off on this new adventure together I thought she'd be with me forever. I guess now all we have is memories, but in those she will live with me and my family forever.....