Change Lives

Change Lives

Thursday 26 April 2018

A Sorry Sight Called Harley Arrives.....

I was approached on Monday by an officer from Nortumberland Council to see if we'd take a Dogue de Bordeaux in that was facing the threat of being euthanised by his owner. I won't go into too many details because of the fact we do have some history on this dog, but of course I said yes.

Harley arrives yesterday in quite simply horrific and mental condition. He is clearly under weight and his claws are so long that he sometimes actually trips over them when he walks. However it is the mental state of this dog that has me really concerned.

On his arrival he was frightened but managable, he walked into his kennel on a lead and we even had a little cuddle. Yesterday afternoon though I saw how damaged he was. As soon as I moved my hand to put the lead around his neck he started barking and growling. Fear that I can totally understand. However as I raised my hand slightly higher to make a bigger loop and hopefully cause him less stress, he was so frightened that he soiled himself as he cowered. I got him out eventually with some gentle coaxing and we went for a walk. As you'll see in the video, even the sound of sheep blows his mind, I think you'll be beginning to draw the same conclusions I am.....

Today he was still frightened and a little more difficult to get on the lead, but we got there. We went for another walk and..... Well I'll let you see for yourself how he coped with the outside world.....



His reaction to traffic really shocked me and Rich, and although we didn't unfortunately it on camera, the first time I touched him he wet himself.

As I said I really don't think I can comment on his history or explain his behaviour, but seeing him like this makes me only presume he's had a tough time physically and mentally.....