Change Lives

Change Lives

Saturday 23 November 2019

Could You Be Tia's Special Person.....



I think anyone who has ever met me will know that whilst I love all dogs, I a have a real soft spot for one breed in particular, German Shepherds. Such an intelligent and a loyal breed, I've had some amazing friends and companionship over the years. Of course my Shak, the dog which inspired me to start all of this was also a German Shepherd cross.

Very early on in my days working in rescue I noticed that they are a breed that don't normally do very well in a kennel environment.  They want to be with people, they want to have someone to look out for. After all, that's what they were bred to do.

It was because of this the we predominantly rescued German Shepherds when the charity begun, before opening the doors to any dog when I realised the plight 'mans best friend' was suffering all across Great Britain.

We've had some amazing dogs from failed prison service dogs to ex scrapyard guardians. Everyone special, whilst increasing my love for the breed beyond belief.

One little girl that we have in at the moment is Tia. A real sweetheart, I was drawn to her immediately when I was asked to help her as she was about to be booked in to be destroyed.

She was very young and manic, but from the information we had she had been passed from pillar to post, she'd never been given that person of her own to look after.

The rescue that had her before us rehomed her within twenty four hours. No assessments were done, no time to settle then she was on the move again.

Her new family loved her dearly, they'd had German Shepherds before, but everything to her was a huge ordeal. So much so that strangers and other dogs became a major concern. That's when I was called.

Over the time she has been with us she has mellowed, but is still a little whirlwind.  I find now that she would rather ignore other dogs than get involved, shes quite happy just carrying whichever stone she has just dug up!
I think she enjoys the task of locating the treasured item just as much as the dig itself!

Maybe its time we tried to give her that person for good. We think Tia would benefit from being an only dog with somebody that knows the breed and understands how a German Shepherds mind works. The charity's policy of not rehoming with children would apply, whilst she would also need somebody with a lot of time to spend with her.

If you'd like to express an interest in being Tia's person, then please get in touch via email foreverfoster@shak.org.uk