Change Lives

Change Lives

Wednesday 9 March 2016

A New Chapter For Donnie.....

It has been a big week for Donnie, after he somehow managed to break his tail?!? A visit to the vet resulted in him having to have it amputated but it also meant me and him have some quality time together.

I've had experience of problems with tails before. Sighthounds in particular are a nightmare as their tails are so fine. If you look around any pound you will probably see a Greyhound or a Lurcher with a tail missing or partly missing! The problem is they are so difficult to get to heal, and if infection sets in its even worse.

So we decided the best thing was not to put Donnie through weeks or months of trauma given his size and 'athletic' behavior in kennels!

Every cloud has a silver lining, and as I said it meant I am able to spend some one on one time with him as he recovers from his operation at my kennels at home. Donnie has always been a real sweetheart with people but arrived with us with a reputation for being dog aggressive and so strong! The strength I've never questioned, but the issue with dogs I've always felt was more he was afraid of them, or perhaps even worse, he'd just never been allowed to be around them.

Anyway, it was something I was determined to investigate whilst he stays with us.....