Change Lives

Change Lives

Thursday 27 February 2020

Remember It's A Dog's Life.....


So all the way back in 2013 I accidentally wrote a book called It's A Dogs Life. A project that started off with a phone conversation with a lady who was looking to get rid of a dog she had just rescued.

I tried to explain what the dog may have been through before he ended up with her. I was able to draw on my experience of working in a pound, to explain just what a shock to the system being discarded and losing your home is.

After convincing her to stick with him, I came home and thought I would write a piece for our website. Nothing too much, just straight to the point…..

That piece developed into my first book, but it also gave a voice to some of the wonderful dogs I met whilst working in that environment.

I had never thought of writing before, but the satisfaction and the feeling of creativity it gave me manifested the confidence to carry on with my new found hobby, to produce two other darker and more sinister books on mental health called Only Human and The Castle.

The development of self publishing, meant I was able to put my money where my mouth was and turn my manuscript into a paperback. Having worked so hard on it, the urge to see the finished article in print meant I covered the publishing and printing costs myself.

Seen through the eyes of a Rottweiler who finds himself abandoned but not knowing why, It's A Dog's Life, chronicles his time in the pound. It tells the story of how he deals with his new life and the friends he meets along the way.

Fast forward now to the present day and my accidental first book seems to have been well received judging by the reviews on Amazon. With the big vet's bill we have just recieved for Taz and it being a difficult time of year, I thought it might be time to let our new supporters know that the book exists and try and get even more people to realise how bleak life can be for a stray.

I recently saw copies of it advertised on line for an incredible £74! I think the seller clearly just didn't have a clue what they had haha. It is available on Amazon and Ebay, but both take commissions and sell from book dealers.

So…. Trying to help us raise much needed funds, 50% of all copies bought from my own online store www.stephenwylie.com will be donated back to the dogs. That's £3.50 per book going to SHAK. Unfortunately, my writing isn't good enough that I am able to write off the production costs.

You can buy a copy and help our dogs from the link below:

https://stephen-wylie.my-online.store/Its_A_Dogs_Life/p5936357_19208140.aspx

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully it hasn't put you off the book!