Change Lives

Change Lives

Friday 15 April 2011

Another Heartbreaker.....




I don't know how they do it, but I'm convinced that the dogs that are the most desperate find there way to me and then onto SHAK. Old Dusty is no exception. I picked this handsome old guy up as a stray, and having served his 7 days unclaimed he is now the latest dog in line to break my heart and the hearts of all the SHAK team. Dusty is clearly in a bad way, as the photos in the first Dusty post show. His ears are severely infected, so much so that he is deaf, whilst he has gum disease and rotten teeth too. He is covered in lumps and bumps, and clearing showing signs of neglect.

Today I took him to the vets, and she confirmed what I already suspected, Dusty is suffering from testicular cancer. Despite this he is such a happy bouncy boy, and whilst treatment has begun on his ears and teeth, it was felt that at his age full surgery and removal of the testicles may just be too much.

The strength dogs such as Dusty (ans Spirit and Mama Bear before him) show is unbelievable, and I am just pleased that SHAK is there to provide exactly what we say we will "Safe Homes And Kindness." At the moment that home is my own home, where he is curled up on the floor next to me as I type this. God bless you boy.