Change Lives

Change Lives

Sunday 19 October 2014

Always In My Heart.....

Yesterday was a date that will always be with me, as it marked not only the first anniversary of losing my big pal Smokey, but also the third year without Scooby..... The dog that changed this charity and my life forever.

I don't think I can say anything else to what I said last year,other than that their memories are always in my head, but what they taught me will always run through my heart.

This time last year.....


October the 18th is a day etched into my head already, as two years ago I lost Scooby, the dog that changed SHAK forever. Today that imprint in my head got deeper as my worst fears were confirmed and I had to do the right thing and let Smokey go.

After the beach on Tuesday I took Smokey to the vets as he had a large lump on his back leg that had got dramatically bigger. I knew it wasn't good, and the look on Emily's face said it all. An appointment was made for X Rays today, and thus began the horrific countdown of doing everything with the dog that had become my side kick for the last time.

Today's results were worse case scenario. A massive bone tumour was feeding off Smokey's body and there were signs of possible secondary tumours appearing other places. I had to put my personal needs to one side and do what was best for him.

Smokey had been with us for the best part of four years, the last month I have gotten to know him better than I thought I already did. He was tough, stubborn but oh so brave. If I had half the spirit he had, then maybe I wouldn't feel so broken inside right now.

Today SHAK lost a legend, like so many before him, Smokey summed up everything this charity stands for and fights against. Personally I have lost a dog that became so close to me, not having him hurts, but more importantly I've lost a dog that I am honoured to of let me get so close. We all loved him, and my family loved having him with us, I'd like to think that Smokey felt we were lucky to have him!



Smokey saying goodbye to his friends at the kennels yesterday with a game of football.

Relaxing last night around the fire outside.


Sweet Dreams big man.....

Our goodbye this morning.  Fighting back tears and wanting time to stand still.


Losing the big man was even more ironic as it came on the second anniversary of losing the dog that made taking in dogs like Smokey possible. A lot has been said about Scooby, and I think his nickname of Lord Scooby says it all, but if he hadn't of come into my life snarling and biting me in the process, Smokey, Miko and all the others would never of made it to SHAK and ultimately home with me. I still think about you Scooby, and miss you being here. Thank you x



His Lordship who I owe so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.