Change Lives

Change Lives

Friday 13 September 2013

Perhaps The Most Shut Down Dog We've Ever Had.....

I mentioned earlier in the week that due to perhaps the most shut down dog we have ever had arriving, little Star needed to come and foster with me, Well, after serving his seven days I can now introduce Henry.

We believe that he has been living rough in woods, and certainly that would account for his horrendous condition on arrival. However seeing a dog like him trying to scale the walls of his kennel because I tried to enter with a small shovel the day after he arrived, indicates he's there's a bigger story there.


I wormed him on arrival, and three days later we saw what was contributing to him being so slim, as he passed a worm. However this was the biggest worm I have ever seen, measuring 38cm in length. The picture below shows just how big this parasite was, you can imagine the look on my face when I discovered it!

Henry has sat for a whole week until yesterday, too scared to get out of his bed. Then yesterday morning Melissa managed to get a lead on him and walk him round the indoor run. Later yesterday afternoon I repeated the "treat through the lead" trick and we went outside. Today he was a lot happy to come out, and I think the photo's show how much he enjoyed it. What a difference a week makes.....